A 10-week part time short course that is open to everyone and fits around your other commitments. By the end of the programme you will have gained skills in imaginative thinking, movement and voice and you will have increased your confidence on the amateur stage, in college or in business.
The course will be delivered by senior teaching faculty at Drama Studio London, all of whom are working professionally in various aspects of theatre and media. Click here to see our faculty pages. You will use of our facilities including theatre space, the sound studio and screen acting studio.
Drama Studio London is based in Ealing, close to Central, District, Circle and main line stations. It is also well served by buses. There is also free parking available.
A certificate of attendance will be issued if you attend 90% or more of the course.
"I have learnt confidence in my acting and that preparation is everything - so be organised! I feel I was well taught and well supported and have improved as an actor. A good course all round." John Scott 2015
"This course has cemented my aspirations to become an actor and I feel my confidence has grown throughout...I would like to thank all of the teachers who taught me throughout the course - such talented and patient people, who oozed positivity and demonstrated belief in our premature dreams of acting." Rebecca Harris-Otobo 2015
"A great insight into all aspects of acting and performance, detailing areas I hadn't even put much thought into before." Josh Farley-Drake 2015
"An excellent insight into the world of theatre and acting which I would recommend to anyone seriously interested in the subject." John Kelleher 2015
"Many thanks to Helen, Keith, Dewi and also to Crispin, Nick, Gillian, Jilly and all the other tutors for such a wonderful experience. It has been a pleasure and I have learnt so much." Joseph Cross 2015
- Course Structure
- Course Level
- Fees & Dates
- Entry & Admissions
The course will be delivered by senior teaching faculty at Drama Studio London, all of whom are working professionally in various aspects of theatre and media. Click here to see our faculty pages.
Introductory acting classes aimed at building confidence, deepening understanding of the craft and providing you with a range of acting tools. Acting classes will cover topics such as:
- Scene Work
- Emotional Connection
- Approach to Text
- Exploring and actor's process (based on Stanislavski, Michael Chekhov etc)
Voice and Speech
These voice lessons will give you the opportunity to explore what your voice is capable of and help develop its power, expression and clarity. Voice/Speech classes will cover topics such as:
Introduce and give insight into the skills, knowledge and understanding of movement and its relationship to acting. This is achieved by building awareness of the body as the actor's instrument, using the body expressively and freely in communication of emotion and character. Movement classes will cover topics such as:
- Release physical inhibitions
- Connection to character & style
- Basic acting for Screen and Camera: Learn about the language of film, the differences between acting on stage and in front of the camera, shooting procedures and the technical demands made on the actor. The sessions will be highly practical, with plenty of acting opportunities.
- Basic Radio and Microphone Technique: Work alone on the mic, plus create a group scene from a broadcast radio drama.
- Dance workshop: Use of dance to allow the actor to connect to their body, allowing them to be integrated and effective story tellers. A fun workshop, knowing 'Dance' can be intimidating for some we enter the process through story and learn choreography as actors.
- Introduction to Stage Combat: this class will focus on unarmed combat and provide an insight into the techniques used in film and theatre.
- Introduction to Shakespeare
- Introduction to the Industry
This part time, short course is designed for anyone with an interest in acting. We welcome applications from over 18 year olds.
The course is at an introductory/beginner level. While it is a good launch pad for someone looking to enter full time professional training, it is also open to people simply looking for a fun, creative and social evening class.
The course is designed to suit the following people:
- Those looking for an introduction into the profession and into full time acting training.
- Amateur actors looking to hone their skills for Amateur Dramatics.
- Those looking for a fun and interesting experience alongside regular full time work.
- People seeking confidence and skills (for example for public speaking).
This course runs twice a year with February and September start dates on Tuesday and Thursdays 6.30pm - 9.30pm.
Course Dates: September - November 2017
(Each session includes a short 10 minute break)
Week 1: Tue 12 & Thur 14 September 2017
Week 2: Tue 19 & Thur 21 September 2017
Week 3: Tue 26 & Thur 28 September 2017
Week 4: Tue 03 & Thur 05 October 2017
Week 5: Tue 10 & Thur 12 October 2017
Week 6: Tue 24 & Thur 26 October 2017
Week 7: Tue 31 October & Thur 02 November 2017
Week 8: Tue 07 & Thur 09 November 2017
Week 9: Tue 14 & Thur 16 November 2017
Week 10: Tue 21 & Thur 23 November 2017
These fees relate to sterling transactions only. For non-sterling payments please add the equivalent of £20GBP to cover bank charges and administration costs.
Course fee: £825 (inc.Vat)
Early Bird Discount if you sign up 4 weeks or more before the course start date:
VAT will be charged in accordance with government legislation at the time of invoicing. Current rate is 20%.
If you withdraw earlier than 4 weeks before the course start date we will refund the course fee minus a £50 administration charge. The full fee is non-refundable if you withdraw within 4 weeks of the start date.
Drama Studio London is accredited by Drama UK so you can be sure you shall receive quality training with a professional stamp.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- English Language MUST be strong enough for you to speak, read, write, listen and comprehend without the need for any class to slow down for you. As a guide you should be at IELTS level 4.5 or above/CEFR level B1 or above. If your English is not strong enough you will struggle on the course.
All applications should be made via our Online Application Form.
No audition is required. Places are first come first served.
Applications will close when all our places are filled.
Please note: the course will only run on sufficient numbers and if cancelled by Drama Studio London all payments will be refunded.
There will be no cancellation refund if you withdraw after 23rd of January 2016.
Upon applying and paying the course fee you will receive a confirmation of studies letter confirming your place on the course.