We are now full for our 2020 entry. Applications for 2021 will open in October 2020.
Please note the 1 year Diploma is a not a route onto the MFA. There is no direct entry to year two of the MFA. Entrance to the second year is dependent on completion of the first year and the awarding of appropriate credits.
This course is aimed at postgraduates, those with prior experience or those who may have little previous experience but possess the exceptional, natural talent. Our values are Respect, Endeavour and Enthusiasm and we are looking for evidence of these even at audition.
- No upper age limit but preferably over 21
- No academic qualification necessary
- English language level CEFR B1or above. Your English must be strong enough for you to speak, read, write, listen and comprehend without holding up your training.
- International Students, please click here for details on applying from outside the UK
- Reasonable Adjustment. Please feel free to advise us of any difficulties or disabilities which may affect your performance at audition, we will be happy to make any reasonable adjustments that ensure you are given a fair opportunity to demonstrate your skills.
DIGITAL AUDITIONS: ROUND ONE
- 3 minutes talking to the camera. Just be yourself and make sure the shot is of head and shoulders. Talk about yourself, your motivations, your likes and your acting experience etc.
- 2 minutes some full body video shots with movement (dance or physical theatre). Can be set to music or words or silence. Needs to connect with a story or an emotion but need not be a dance unless you are comfortable with that. Needs to show some variation.
- 2 minutes acting a modern speech post 1956.
- 2 minutes acting a classical speech pre 1640.
You can upload your audition clips to Vimeo, YouTube, DropBox, WeTransfer or similar and share with email@example.com
Workshop Audition Guidelines
We would advise you to do pieces in your own accent, choosing the style based on what you feel you do best and what is reasonably close to you in age and background. In performance be truthful, honest and simple. Let your own instincts guide you, based on having read the whole play - we are looking for what you personally have to offer, not anybody else's interpretation of the speech. So please don't worry if you haven't had any help or 'coaching' on your speeches. We will also be looking at how people respond to feedback or direction.
If you are recalled you with be invited to a half-day session where the you will be asked to work with a senior member of the faculty. Usually, the two people you meet at recall will not have met you in the first round. A brief warm-up will lead to performing your two speeches to the group, after which you may be asked to re-work your speech. You will then read through and work on a scene of the director's choice, possibly taking part in further acting/improvisation exercises.
- Your recall result will be emailed to you at the end of your admissions block. You will either be offered a place, rejected, or placed on our waiting list.
- If successful, you will be sent a contract and other documents relating to the offer stating a deadline date for response.
- Please note that your offer is not secured until you return the signed contract and pay your deposit.
Notes on the Waiting List
We aim to achieve the right balance on our student intake, taking diversity into account is important to us, to the profession and for our students themselves. This diversity is not just about visible difference, but also about invisible difference; idiosyncrasies of talents and needs. Whilst we are trying to get this balance we put some excellent students onto our waiting list. This is not because we think they are not as good as others or that we have doubts about them achieving professional standards, it is merely a holding position whilst we try to fit all the pieces together in the best possible way. We will notify you if a place becomes available or if all places are filled. You may be on the waiting list for a long time as people can withdraw from the course very close to the start date. If you wish to be withdrawn from our waiting list please let us know.